Thursday, May 9, 2013

Deep Thoughts and Dark Chocolate

Deep Thoughts

The past week has held a host of different experiences, thoughts and interactions. A little later on I will write about those, but I first wanted to begin by touching on the idea of greatness or bigness. I have lived my life trying to do great things. When I was younger, it was doing the biggest trick I could do on my skateboard. A little later on, I was trying to learn riffs from the greatest guitar players. Now that I am older, I find myself dreaming, and dreaming very big. That is, after all, how I am supposed to do things...right? Dream big? How are we to define bigness? Who is to say what is great? These questions mull over and over in my head as I observe the western condition of striving and consuming around and in me. Perhaps greatness can not be defined by any stretch of human intelligence. Perhaps greatness is just, well, too big.

It is very easy to continually try to compare my dreams to that of the incredibly intelligent and talented people that surround me. I wonder why my big dreams never seem to come to fruition. This week the Lord reminded me of what I consider my life statement/the lens from which I view all things, now including my dreams. "Seek first the Kingdom and all else will fall into place". This, when phrased as a question,
puts everything in perspective. Dreaming is an incredible gift from God. It is innately a part of who we are as co creators, but we have to look at our desires as we dream. Are we dreaming with a Kingdom mindset, or are we looking at things through the eyes of our own personal kingdoms or even the kingdom of the other.

That was kind of heavy, but for those tracking with me and praying for me, these are the questions I am asking and wrestling through. This past week and a half I have been painting a house almost entirely by myself, sans a much appreciated day with Brad's help. As a result, I have been awarded heaps of free time to think and process the semester past and the summer ahead. Keep praying that God surfaces the things I need to think about to prepare me for my time coming.


Kokomo/Nashville

My adventures this past week started with an incredible day hanging out with Shea and Will in Kokomo. It was a totally unplanned time where we ended up sitting and chatting with Will's grandparents, who are ridiculously cool, until 1 in the morning. Will's Kevin(step-grandpa) at one point was upside down on a couch to illustrate a point of which I have absolutely no recollection, but it was funny. Will's grandma made the great point that every person you encounter knows something you don't, so it is your job to learn what they know and teach what you know. Pretty awesome.

Once my mini Kokomo adventure finished I drove home and hopped right in the car for a drive to Nashville Tennessee for my cousin's wedding. It was a great time with an awesome reception in an old factory. Sunday morning my parents were kind enough to take some of my siblings and I to Barista Parlor, a sweet little speciality coffee shop in Nashville. I had a great cup of Intelligence Kenyan and an incredible breakfast biscuit sandwich that I would drive 5 hours for again. All of that was topped of with some excellent locally stone ground 75% Dark Chocolate. Until next time, stay sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment